Ebooks are available through a service called Media on Demand, which is sponsored by a group of suburban libraries. From any computer with Internet access you can visit Media on Demand, search for a book, and begin reading or download it to your device. Check with staff at the library for more information about downloading to specific devices or for information about what books are available.
Note: In addition to Media on Demand, you may also borrow eBooks from another service called eRead Illinois. Learn more about eRead Illinois at the Adult Reference Desk. (708) 532-0160, ext. 1.
- If you have an iPhone, iPad, iPod, Nook Tablet or an Android device: Find the free app called Overdrive Media Console in the iTunes store, the Nook Apps store, or Google Play (Android) marketplace, as appropriate. Install the app on your device, open the app and create an OverDrive account. Tap on the home menu in the upper left hand corner, select "Add a library," search for and select "Tinley Park Public Library," and then select "Media on Demand". Be sure to tap the picture of a star so that your device will always remember Media on Demand so you will not have to search for Tinley Park every time you use the app. Lastly, follow instructions 2 through 7 in the box below.
- If you have another ereader (e.g. Nook, Sony Reader, and others): On your computer, go to Media on Demand. Download and install the free Adobe Digital Editions software, register it with a free Adobe ID, and then follow the instructions below.
Ebook Downloading Instructions
With your Tinley Park Public Library card you can borrow ebooks from the Media on Demand and have them delivered to your computer and/or your ereading device.
- Visit Media on Demand
- Click on the "Account" button and follow the step-by-step directions to login to your account. (Note that when you sign in, the password is your SWAN PIN. Call us at (708) 532-0160, ext. 1 if you don't know what it is)
- Using the Advanced Search feature, limit the format to "EPUB eBook"
- Search for the desired author, title, or subject
- Click on "Borrow" (if the book is available now) or "Place a Hold" (to wait for the next available copy)
- Click on the button labeled "Download (Select one format)"
- Select the "EPUB eBook" option, and then click on "Confirm and Download"
- If you have a device from Group "A" (above), the ebook will download directly to your device when you are connected to a wireless network
- If you have a device from Group "B" above, the ebook will download to your home computer, and will automatically open in Adobe Digital Editions. Connect your device to the computer with a USB cable, and transfer the ebook by dragging and dropping it on the device icon